The 11th Star Awards
University Clusters Nationwide
Ho Chi Minh CityVietnam National University
Star Awards contest is organized with a view to creating an English playground for university students across the country and increasing their awareness about the importance of a foreign language in studying and future careers.
Since 2017, Star Awards has officially become an academic contest, co-organized by 6 university clusters all over the country, including Thai Nguyen, Ha Noi, Hue, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, and Can Tho. Wilmar CLV is honored to be the sponsor of the contest under the sponsorship of Simply Rice-Bran Oil.
Carrying on the success of the 11th contest with the participation of more than 70,000 contestants from 183 universities and colleges all over the country, the 12th Star Awards will be hosted by Vietnam National University HaNoi from September to December 2023. Under the theme of Vietnamese Youth and Cyberspace, this year’s contest aims to bring so much more interesting experience for the contestants through four rounds: Starship, Starplus, Starlight, and Star Union.
Through the objectives of the contest, we would like to urge students to persistently broaden their knowledge and harness soft skills, especially presentation and English skills, to well prepare for the professional working environment before graduation.
In 2015, for the first time ever, Star Awards was organized on a national scale with 3 main university clusters. Through time, the contest has affirmed its prestige and expanded the scale. Since 2017, Star Awards has officially become an academic contest, co-organised by 6 university clusters all over the country, including Thai Nguyen, Ha Noi, Hue, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, and Can Tho. Wilmar CLV is honored to be the sponsor of the contest under the sponsorship of Simply Rice Bran Oil.
- Vietnam National University Hanoi (Host of Star Awards 2023)
- Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City
- Hue University
- The University of Da Nang
- Thai Nguyen University
- Can Tho University
Wilmar International Limited, founded in 1991 and headquartered in Singapore, is Asia’s leading agribusiness group. Wilmar International is ranked among the largest listed companies by market capitalization on the Singapore Exchange. At the core of Wilmar’s strategy is an integrated agribusiness model that has over 500 manufacturing plants and an extensive distribution network covering China, India, Indonesia, and 50 other countries. The group has a multinational workforce of about 90,000 people.
Presented in Vietnam since 1998, Wilmar CLV (Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam) is proud to be a major group that specializes in Foodstuff, Feed Ingredients, Bio Ingredients and Distribution in the region. Today, we have successfully laid a strong foundation for Wilmar CLV in the region with the presence of 8 companies, 4 offices, 10 factories, and over 2,300 employees. Currently, 7 of our 10 production facilities in Vietnam, in addition to supplying industrial users, are also manufacturers of consumer products, i.e., oils and fats, rice, grains, value-added processing products (pre-mixes, egg noodles, macaroni), as well as sauces and condiments.
Our mission is to increase the happiness of consumers and customers via delivering world-class quality essential products cost efficiently.
1. Online Test Round – Starship
Candidates create an account and take the exam on the website www.starawards.vn
Each candidate has a maximum of 3 attempts. Each candidate answered 40 questions within 40 minutes, the questions varied in many different answer forms.
2. Semi-final Round – Starship
Part 1: Onsite Exam
- Candidates will take the test directly under the supervision of the Organizing Committee, in the form of 20 multiple-choice questions and 1 essay in 60 minutes.
Part 2: Interview
- Candidates have 1 minute to introduce themselves and 4 minutes to answer questions around the topic of the contest, the maximum time for the entire exam is 5 minutes.
3. Regional Final Round – Starplus
6 excellent teams from each cluster will go through the rounds:
- Warm-up: Each team in turn must answer a set of 10 short questions within a maximum of 3 minutes for the question and answer section, questions related to the topic “Vietnamese youth with cyberspace”.
- Acceleration: Teams compete to answer 10 crosswords in English to reveal the pieces of the final keyword puzzle.
- Final round: The teams competed on a topic given by the Organizing Committee.
4. National Final Round – Star Union
6 teams in each cluster will go through two parts:
- Conquest round: Teams answer questions according to a large square matrix of 6×6 consisting of 36 questions with 3 levels of easy, medium and difficult. For each question, the time to think and give an answer is 30 seconds.
- Bravery round: Teams will be drawn and divided into 3 pairs. Each pair competes and debates on a topic given by the Organizing Committee.
1. Starship – Online Testing Round (15.09 – 10.10)
Format: Online tests on the website www.starawards.vn
The Online Test Round – Starship is simultaneously taking place at 6 clusters nationwide with the format of online testing on computers or mobile devices. When signing up accounts on the website, contestants are required to provide their factual personal information for the Organization Committee to verify and contact if necessary. After finishing the registration, each contestant will be provided with one account to do the test.
Each contestant has 3 attempts to do the test, of which the one with the best result will be used for assessment if the contestant is qualified to enter the next round. The contestant will access the Internet and do the online test with 40 questions in 40 minutes. Weekly, Top 03 contestants with the highest scores in each cluster will win weekly prizes.
2. Starplus – Semi-Final Round (13.10 – 18.10)
50 selected candidates will take an onsite test under the supervision of the Organizing Committee, in the form of 20 multiple choice questions and 1 essay within 60 minutes. The maximum score for part 1 is 40 points.
After completing the multiple-choice test, candidates will participate in an interview with a panel of judges in which candidates have 1 minute to introduce themselves and 4 minutes to answer questions related to the topic of the test. contest, maximum duration is 5 minutes. The maximum score for part 2 is 60 points.
At the cluster semi-final round, the Organizing Committee will select 18 candidates with the highest scores to participate in the Regional Final Round. 18 contestants will be divided into 6 teams, each team consists of 03 contestants to participate in the final round of the cluster.
3. Starlight – Semi-Final Round (01.11 – 15.11)
Part 1: Warm-up round
- Format: 6 teams take turns answering short questions in English about general English knowledge and general knowledge surrounding cyberspace issues. Each team in turn must answer a set of 10 short questions within a maximum of 3 minutes both asking and answering. MC reads each question to the team, the team has the right to discuss and appoint a representative to answer the question. After the student has finished answering, he or she is immediately allowed to answer the next question, and the team is allowed to skip the question. The question requires finding the correct answer and filling in the blanks.
- Choice questions: true or false, choose the answers given.
- Questions with pictures or music prompts.
- Contestants can continuously change their answers before the host announces the answer and the final answer will be recorded. If not changed, the program will record the first answer. The content of the questions is related to general knowledge about cyberspace issues and cultural behavior in cyberspace. The language of the test is English.
- Scoring method: Each correct answer gets 10 points, no point deducted for wrong answer. The maximum score for this test is 100 points.
Part 2: Accelerated round
- Description: There is a picture containing the program’s key word and covered by 10 puzzle pieces. Each puzzle piece corresponds to a horizontal word consisting of crosswords. Competing teams answer 10 horizontal words in corresponding English to reveal the pieces of the picture and find the final keyword. These 10 horizontal words also have content related to the theme of the picture.
- Format: Teams choose from a horizontal line and answer questions. The form of questions given is questions, data videos, keywords… If you answer correctly from the horizontal row, the corresponding piece of the picture will be opened.
- The time to think and answer each question is 30 seconds. The team that chooses the correct answer will receive 40 points, and the wrong answer will be deducted 10 points. The remaining 5 teams have the right to answer by ringing the bell. Correct answers receive 25 points, points are not deducted for incorrect answers.
- Contestants can press the bell to win the right to answer keywords at any time. Correct answers in the first 2 questions get 80 points, in the next 2 questions get 60 points, from the following questions get 40 points. If they answer the wrong keyword, the team must end the section at that time.
- The maximum score for this section is 440 points. 04 teams with the highest total score of part 1 and part 2 will enter part 3.
Part 3: Final Round
- Content: The contest is held in the form of rhetoric according to a topic proposed by the Organizing Committee.
- Format: Contest teams randomly draw 1 topic out of 6 topics that the Organizing Committee prepared to conduct the debate. All contestants in the team will have to participate in the debate. Each team has a maximum of 02 minutes to prepare and 03 minutes to present. After the presentation time, for every next 10 seconds, the team will be deducted 1 point.
- At the end of each presentation, the contestants in the team will answer questions from the opposing team (how many questions are asked and at what time) and the jury. The jury’s questions will be for each individual in the team.
- The maximum score for this test is 100 points. The team with the highest score in this competition will be the winning team
4. Star Union – National Final Round (01.12)
- Content: The participating teams answer questions according to a large square matrix of 6×6 consisting of 36 questions with 3 levels of easy, medium difficulty.
- Form: Each team is assigned a corresponding color, the teams draw lots to choose the order of answers. For each question, the time to think and answer is 30 seconds. The question-answering team can discuss internally during the think-and-answer period. The team appoints a representative to answer questions for the whole team. If the time runs out and the team still has not given an answer, the question is considered to be missed. The square corresponding to the question is marked with an X, and no team is allowed to answer again. Other teams must not interfere or suggest answers while one team is thinking and answering a question.
- For each correct answer, 20 points will be awarded, 5 points will be deducted for incorrect answers. The contest will end when a team completes 1 row (horizontal/vertical/diagonal) first, that team will gain an additional 30 points. The total score for this round is 150 points
6 teams will be drawn and divided into 3 pairs. Each pair competes and debates on a topic given by the Organizing Committee.The groups have time to think, discuss and then debate according to the AP (Asian Parliamentary) debate rules, specifically:
*Asian Parliamentary (AP) Debate Law
The debate will consist of 2 teams:
- Team A (Affirmative Team): The team supporting the petition, consisting of 3 members, respectively A1, A2, A3
- Team N (Negative Team): The opposing team also includes 3 members, N1, N2, N3 respectively.
Turn 1 (up to 7 minutes)
- A1: define, limit and pose problems; state the system of points; develop 1 or 2 points.
- N1: Give feedback on the definition, limit and problem set; state the system of points; counter arguments A1; develop 1 or 2 points.
Turn 2 (up to 7 minutes)
- A2: Defend your point of view, challenge N1’s point of view, develop 1 or 2 points.
- N2: Defend your point of view; opposing views A1 and A2; develop 1 or 2 points.
Turn 3 (up to 7 minutes)
- A3: Criticize arguments N1 and N2, briefly summarize your arguments, summarize and highlight the main issues, analyze the main ideas.
- N3: Can critique argument A3, briefly summarize their arguments, summarize and highlight main issues, analyze main ideas.
Responses (up to 4 minutes)
- Brief summary of the match conflict.
- Brief summary and direction of the party and the opposing party.
- Compare and prove your team performed better.
- The first response by team N is done by N1 or N2.
- Team A’s subsequent response is made by A1 or A2.
- During the A3, N3 and the response part, the speaker is not allowed to add new points in his presentation.
Question and answer section (P.O.I)
The opposing team member is allowed to ask the speaking team member for clarification or to counter the content being presented. The right to ask questions is used from the 2nd to the 6th minute in each speaking session from A1 to N3. Each question should not exceed 15 seconds.
At the end of each team’s presentation, the Jury will ask questions to the competing teams, and the team has 3 minutes to respond to the judges’ questions.
Scoring method: The jury will score based on the presentation and critique of the competition team. The maximum score for this round is 200 points, the judges score based on the criteria given by the organizers.
The language used during the National Finals is English. The team with the highest total score of 2 rounds will be the winner. In case of influence by objective reasons, the decision of the organizers and the Jury is final.
1. Online Test Round – Starship
Weekly, the Top 3 contestants in each cluster with the highest scores and shortest times in multiple-choice tests will be rewarded with a gift bag from Wilmar CLV and also be awarded VND 500,000 each.
2. Regional Final Round – Starplus
- 1 First prize: 10,000,000 VND + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 1 Second prize: 5,000,000 VND + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 2 Third Prizes: 3,000,000 + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 2 Consolation prizes: 1,000,000 VND + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
3. National Final Round – Star Union
- 1 First prize: 40,000,000 VND + trophy + flowers + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 1 second prize: VND 20,000,000 + flowers + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 1 third prize: 15,000,000 VND + flowers + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 3 Consolation prizes: VND 5,000,000 + flowers + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- 1 most favorite team prize: VND 5,000,000 + flowers + a gift bag from Wilmar CLV
- Candidates who win the first, second and third prizes also have the opportunity to receive
Step 1: Access to the contest website – starawards.vn – then click “TEST NOW” button to do the test or to create an account
Step 2: Fill in the registration form as required and create an account
Step 3: Read the contest’s rules thoroughly. Contestants can choose to do the mock test to get used to the type of the questions and the format of the test
Step 4: Click “Multiple-choice Test” to do the “Multiple-choice Test” (maximum 5 attempts)
Step 5: Click “Submit” to finish the test and view the multiple-choice test results.